Last weekend went to the kangaroo Island Surf & Music Festival.. went there a good fan of 3 bands came out loving 7, good effort =D. Never been on a camping music festival road trip so as a newbie my eyes were open and my ears awaiting the sweet sounds of new material. Oh to be poor and stingy, the thrill of smuggling in alcohol was exciting and being in a car full of women odds were; the alcohol was getting through. Stepping out of a stuffed KIA Rio nearly all of us in short shorts and cleavage with only one hot, flustered, overweight security guard who was fed up already.. too easy!
K.I love their signs.. especially if they’re spelt wrong
The island’s newspaper.. wanted to buy one as a souvenir. Can’t imagine what would be in it.. everybody talking in first name basis; “Martha baked some great pies at the school fete and uncle bobby’s cows disappeared again” =P
This little man stayed like that for this bands entire set.. uber-fan pressed up against the metal peering through the holes to be able to see. As much as I hate all ages gigs I think it is awesome to give them a musical education other than hi-5 or some other mind rotting shite…
Walking the 30 minute walk to the beach in the hot sun once was enough.. after that we travelled in hippie style.. Banging around in the back of a ‘beach taxi’.. sore bums and many dirty looks (from walkers) were the order of the day..
accidentally made eye contact with the neighbour so in his drunk state he took it as invitation to come into our campsite, sit on the esky and start chatting… 5 minutes and one loud thump later here he is sprawled on the floor completely passed out.. hilarity! I named him ‘Tiny Dancer’ for the graceful pose he landed in… Swan Lake eat your heart out.. so what did we do with him??
…Borrowed a permanent marker from the guys next door and drew a penis on his face
This band was absolutely crazy insane and blew my mind. I had heard of them through the grapevine but was 100% on another level when we stumbled to the front of the main stage and were mesmerised by the Psychedelica of Adelaide Lady Strangelove. With no word of a lie or exaggeration they are the modern incarnate of Led Zeppelin and I cannot believe they only have 829 likes on Facebook. (I am number 829 =D) Anytime you see a trippy hippie scarf decorating the synth you know you’re in for some great sound…
Question 1: How did he get them through his ear lobes?
Question 2: How do they not rip out while he is playing?
This guy was insane.. (I have researched & researched and have found nothing on the internet that identifies the names with the players other than ‘the four brothers’ so I am sorry but they are aptly named guitarist, drummer, vocalist & synth-er) I have never seen anyone get off on their own music so much while they are playing as my girlfriend quite rightly stated; “I wish he’s play me like he play’s his guitar!”.. it was intoxifying watching them live and I got repeated shivers from the intensity, magnitude and beauty of the music..
And right here is the point in the trip where my father’s crappy camera died on me and I had to use my mobile phone camera… which was also near death…
Great trip… I cried twice once for personal reasons and once for personal reasons plus the music was so beautiful but all in all successful trip! Loved The Salvadors, Hungry Kids of Hungary, Lady Strangelove, Ash Grunwald, Van She, The Holidays, Big Scary, Messrs & Rad Bad Dj’s
- Discovering fantastic music i.e Big Scary & Lady Strangelove
- Seeing The Holiday’s again and loving how much better they are and how much they’ve grown since I saw them at Laneway
- Tiny Dancer passing out and crossing ‘draw penis on drunk person’s face’ off the bucket list
- Chilling all day and partying at night.. surf + music = perfect hangover cure & fast party recovery
- Finding a stall that sells the best coffee by far -even beating many places in Adelaide
- Seeing Van She’s Nick Routledge cop a shoe square in the face during their performance.. trooper still kept singing but was totally f*cked up and not cool
- Finding out on the first night that the unofficial party van was the huge 4WDrive with massive speakers parked next to us with a bunch of p-platers blasting out music throughout the night.. which brings me to my next gripe
- Waking up at 7am everyday while we were there because of all the noise and the bright daylight
- Last night of the festival drunk guy climbs redbull tent and stays up there posing.. cue ground security and many cops appearing and getting aggressive, verbally & physically with innocent patrons escalating to a point where innocent people got pepper-sprayed (including one cop) and physically violent to others.. if they had just left him, he would have got down by himself a lot f*cking sooner and none of that would have been necessary.. freaking nanny state
- Wish that a certain someone was with me….